Mobile tower caught fire in Ghaziabad, building collapsed

A three storey building, having a mobile tower installed on the third floor terrace collapsed after it caught fire on Wednesday morning.

The incident took place in Shahibabad's Rajiv Colony bringing the building down. Fortunately no one was killed in the incident.

The tower caught fire around 3.30 am in the house of Hazi Abdul Gaffar, 60. He said, "I was asleep on the second floor with my wife when we woke up after hearing a series of explosions. When we rushed out, we saw the batteries installed at the base of the tower were on fire. Soon, the fire engulfed the whole building."

House number B-48 was essentially used as a godown by Gaffar, a scrap dealer. He lived on the second floor with his wife. His son lives in Delhi. "We had a herd of goats tied up on the ground floor. Five of them escaped. A few others died", said Gaffar.

Chief fire officer Ajay Sharma said, "We received information of the fire at around 3:45 a.m. and rushed five tenders to the scene. We brought the fire under control in about an hour. But, by that time, the building had started to crumble, and finally gave in, bringing the tower crashing down." He attributed short circuit as the possible cause of the fire.

Shahibabad police station SHO Upender Yadav said, "We feared collateral damage to adjacent buildings. Fortunately, only the boundary walls of neighboring buildings were damaged. But as a precautionary measure, we had the area cordoned off."

Related News

:
:
: